Saturday, November 17, 2007

Heart of a Lioness

I remember something I watched last night on Animal Planet, "Heart of a Lioness". It was about a young lioness who adopted an antelope - a little baby oryx. It was so bizarre; the lioness was watching over the oryx like it was her own cub. She didn't eat for 2 weeks because she didn't want to leave the baby behind to go hunt. The baby oryx was getting weak too because it needed milk. It even tried to suckle on Kamunyak (the lioness) but of course she didn't have milk. The locals were saying that they should fence the 2 animals and just let them be together, and they would feed the animals and stuff, but of course the Park Rangers won't have that. So there they were, just side by side, and the baby oryx seemed to be on a quest to get some milk. At one point, it found an adult oryx but Kamunyak was stalking them. The oryx ran away, and instead of chasing and attacking, Kamunyak chased and was calling out to the baby! She didn't want to eat the adult oryx, she was just looking for her baby. They defied nature, but it came to an end after 16 days. The one time that Kamunyak let the oryx wander around, a male lion captured and killed it. Kamunyak jumped up when she heard the roar, the baby was crying out, and Kamunyak was desperate but she couldn't get to the baby for her fear of the big male lion. All she could do was smell the blood on the grass where her baby was killed. *tear*

At this point, my eyes were so blurry. I just wanted to hug that big kitty... She killed and ate a warthog right the next day. Poor thing had been starving! Apparently, Kamunyak tried to adopt several more oryx, but none lasted as long as the first. One died of starvation, others escaped, and she abandoned one but was reunited with its mother. After that, she disappeared. They don't know where she went to. Lion experts said Kamunyak must have lost her pride and because of the trauma, she became... crazy? That's what I think... she crazy! But that was the most heartwarming story I've seen in a really long time. I was crying so much, and since I only saw like 2/3 of the show, I recorded the next showing, which I will watch when I get home today. Poor kitty...

No comments: